Call Us Today 608-729-3590

I Think My Ex Is Abusing Our Child. What Should I Do?

 Posted on June 26, 2024 in Divorce

Dane County, WI 
 child custody lawyerDivorce increases the risk of child abuse. One of the reasons for this is that when the parents separate, they are subject to less supervision. Parents often have more opportunities to abuse their children after divorce. A parent might feel emboldened to engage in abusive behavior if he or she knows the other parent is not there to protect the child.

Child abuse is more than a crime. It affects a child’s future in negative ways that are not always apparent at the time of the abuse. If you think your ex-spouse might be abusing your child, call your Wisconsin child abuse lawyer immediately to take action. 

There are several kinds of abuse, both physical and non-physical, and it is important to recognize their signs.

What Are the Signs a Child Is Being Abused?

Always be on the lookout for signs that your child might be suffering from abuse. Keep in mind, however, that these signs do not conclusively mean your child is being abused. If your child exhibits some of these behaviors, you should investigate the matter to the best of your ability:

  • Difficulty walking or sitting

  • Withdrawn behavior

  • Suddenly trying to avoid your ex-spouse

  • Unexplained changes in behavior

  • Suddenly acting aggressive

  • Unexplained bruising or bleeding

  • Sudden disinterest in favorite activities

Every child is different and may not react to abuse the same way as another child. A combination of objective observation and parental intuition can help you identify whether your child is being abused by your ex-spouse.

What Should I Do If My Child Is Being Abused?

If you believe your ex-spouse is abusing your child, your attorney can take certain legal actions. For example, your lawyer may ask a judge to issue a restraining order that will restrict your ex-spouse’s access to the child. 

Your attorney might also ask the judge to make appropriate changes to the parenting plan. A parenting plan is a document divorcing parents must submit to the court detailing how they plan to co-parent their child after the divorce. It includes details such as schedules for child visitation. If your ex-spouse is abusing your child, ask your attorney if it is time to ask the court to make changes to the parenting plan.

A Note of Caution

The safety of your child is the priority. However, be careful about making any accusations if you do not have compelling evidence to back them up. Unfounded allegations can backfire on you and hurt your child.

Contact a Rock County, WI Child Custody Attorney

If you suspect your ex-spouse is abusing your child, contact your Dane County, WI child custody lawyer right away. He will be able to guide you through your options and the next steps. At John T. Fields & Associates, LLC, we use every legal recourse to protect children who are in abusive situations. Our experience in protective orders and child custody has helped many clients keep themselves and their children safe. Call 608-729-3590 to schedule a consultation today.

Share this post:
badge badge badge badge badge
Back to Top